Here Seth and I are, sitting in the sparsely furnished car of the newly refurbished Accra-Tema shuttle. A porter ambles along and serves us cold Fanta and Coke. We’re among the few who get to take a ride on the shuttle or the “Golden Jubilee Line” as it’s been recently christened before its official launch the next day. This is a big deal, a fun event. It’s funny, then, that all I want to do is throw myself out the window, onto the ground that whizzes by us, and escape the conflicted thoughts that cast a pallour over the smiles of the Ghanaians both on board and on the ground waving at the cars.
The president arrives in a huge convoy. After his car was involved in an accident about a month ago, his cronies now stop traffic when the convoy is approaching. The car arrives and Kufuor leads his band through the usual pomp and circumstance of a Ghanaian press conference. A brass band trumpets out some grandiose marching tune as the president and his entourage – a group of about twelve extremely large men – race around the compound, shaking hands and waving at the assemblage of parliament members, reporters and railway employees. There’s a prayer. I bow my head dutifully and nearly doze off from the heat of the
We pop our heads out and let the wind blow against our damp faces. As the train passes by, people in their backyards wave and yell at us. I’m surprised how many sites are stating to look familiar after three months in this country – the barbed wire atop the walls surrounding the airport, for example, and the vegetable gardens hidden behind the urban exteriors of houses along the road.
As we get closer to the city, the reception becomes a little more frantic, and people get a bit louder and more excited. In a rather typical moment of obruni solipsism, I assume they’re reacting the way some Ghanaians do when they see a white face like mine, all curious smiles and waving. But no – I realize it’s definitely their brief glimpses of the President – or JAK, as he’s commonly referred to in the media here - inspiring this ardour. I sit back and sip on my drink, feeling like a jerk.
Again the entourage piles back onto the car and we zip off to the final stop in
I wonder – what is the President seeing right now? Does he see the conditions the people live in in his country? Does he wish he had done more after two terms in office? And yet the love for him – even if it’s merely superficial – is so strong, so fervent. Later that night, as I recount the story to my roommates, we ruminate that the excitement may also be partially due to the fact that this country has only enjoyed democratic elections since 2000. This is the man they elected and at this time next year, he won’t be there anymore. He is the physical embodiment of Ghanaian democracy. For all the country’s endemic problems, he represents something good. I feel horrible for my cynicism.
I comb the crowd for Seth after awhile and glimpse him pushing back through the crowd. He is beaming. “I got him!” he shouts. “I got the only interview with Kufuor!” He throws his arms around me and we jump around. He tells me the minister took a liking to him and brought him straight to the President. The entire time he was interviewing him (for all of three minutes) Kufuor’s guards were pinching his arms trying to get him to leave. He shows me the bruises. I laugh my ass off and we run away from the hordes of people chasing Kufuor’s motorcade trying to get back to the office.
Seth keeps grinning all the way back as we are squashed between bodies of those still trying to get one last look at the President. I know he is enjoying that wonderful feeling you get as a journalist when you make that first big coup. He penetrated the President’s circle, even briefly. It’s a big deal when you’re a 23-year-old Ghanaian journalist still finishing your national service, getting paid peanuts, and rarely receiving praise or props for your efforts. We keep yelling about his victory all the way home. And I realize I’ve experienced yet another one of the ridiculous, melodramatic highs and lows that have so far characterized my experience in this country. The contrasts between wealth and poverty here make me sick. The differences in communication and interaction often make me furious. The sincerity and goodwill of everyone here makes me cry. And the people I work with make me smile like an idiot on a daily basis. Why the hell does anyone stay here? How the hell can I ever leave?
1 comment:
Great tale... and please, have Seth drop me an email...
doug_murray@radiodelmar.com
Cheers!
Post a Comment