I am on my way to our new place, tiny and small. I am happy to be leaving work and heading home. The neighbourhood is nice, people are friendly, cigarettes are around the corner and the area is quiet and relaxed. Once I arrive I know Zitner will be there and we will sit and talk about work and laugh about nonsense. Till then the day presses heavily on my shoulders. Sweat glues my legs together beneath my impractical poly skirt.
Me: “Who’s chopping you?”
“The military. They cut my face.They think I’m a murderer.”
At this point, I start having fun. “Well aren’t you?”
“No,” he says. “Well, maybe.”
Everyone around us, including the egg man, customers of the egg man, and people just hanging around laugh heartily at this point. I sigh, smile ruefully and stand there as generally happens in these situations. Eventually everyone else stops laughing except the fat boy, who throws his head back and brays at the night sky of a million stars. Everyone then sits awkwardly in silence while he keeps laughing. I wonder if he is a known insane person that everyone knows to be wary of….except for me.
“Oh yeah?” I say, wishing the egg man would hurry up.
“Yeah,” he says. “My dad’s from
“No shit.”
“And I’m from
“Yeah.”
“I’m not a murderer.”
“You sure?”
“Can you dash me small?” he asks. “I want sandwich too.”
Because of the creativity and intensity of his approach, I give him one
“I’m going to come home with you!” he says.
Oh dear Christ.
I start simultaneously backing away while also yelling.
“No, no no. You’re getting a sandwich. GO GET THE
The fat boy starts following me anyway. Then, three things happen – the egg man grabs him and starts yelling in Twi, the boy stumbles and drops the money I gave him, and a woman also stands up and begins yelling.
Amidst the yelling, the Twi, and the dust that flies up as their feet shuffle in the dirt, I make a retreat into the night. In my head, I dub my new friend "Captain Squish" and wonder when I will next have to be running away from him.
1 comment:
great entry lang. perfectly captures the weirdness and uniqueness of every conversation, yet all of them seem familiar, no? very poetic too...
Post a Comment