Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sodom and Gomorrah

Today I paid a visit to the Ghana Society for the Socially Disabled, formerly known as the "Kaneshie Cripples Home" with a reporter, Bernard. In the afternoon I went with Seth and a visiting producer from the Northern Region, Nash, to what is popularly considered one of the worst slums in Accra, the aptly-named Sodom and Gomorrah.
The contrast between the tidy, sunny, underfunded training centre for disabled Ghanaians, where young men and women sat in clean rooms making sandals, batik cloth and clothing, and the stagnant, cramped alleyways of Sodom and Gomorrah still has me reeling.

A full entry will (hopefully) be coming on this. In the meantime, here's a photo essay on the slum courtesy of GhanaWeb, and a Ghanaian take on the slum and its inhabitants. I still can't even believe I was there today, tramping through people's backyards in my stupid fancy work skirt and patent leather shoes, beneath corrugated iron roofs laden with clothing, garbage, and dirt.

No comments: