Wednesday, September 26, 2007

That Ol' Intercultural Jive

Today the JHR group completed the first part of pre-departure training. The first three days were all about becoming "interculturally effective people." Parts were incredibly helpful and comforting, and parts made me realize I don't respond well to touchy-feely "development-ese" - language used by the course facilitator to help us with adjustments, get ready for possible scenarios, etc. All of you who have travelled overseas through CIDA or other NGOs will probably know very well what I am talking about.

Really - I'm not cynical. I appreciated this training, I really did! I realize it is very well-intentioned, and I appreciated the efforts to prepare our group in as unifed a manner as possible.....but really, let's simplify all of this, shall we?

And thus, through all the euphemisms and group work, the message that came through to me loud and clear was "Don't be a stupid white Canadian. Don't talk. Listen." Really. That's all the facilitator needed to say. And it's what I've been thinking about since the final session ended a few hours ago.

This week, we were presented with many possible work-related scenarios that could result in cultural confusion, and how to manage them. The facilitator asked for input on a particularly Confusing and Awkward Intercultural Scenario. I raised my hand.
"I have no idea," I told her. "When you are already very awkward in a Western context....well.....I can't even imagine how to get out of this very Confusing and Awkward Intercultural Scenario." She laughed. I wasn't joking.

I was also struck by all the little social things that will become so important once I start working in Accra. Those visual and verbal cues. Watching my eye contact. Giving the right gifts at the right times. Shaking hands properly. Hell, we've got to watch which hands we use (doing anything with the left hand is a big no no Ghanaian culture.) Dressing better. Watching, period. And waiting.

None of these things are particularly my forte, especially the "dressing better" bit. After a year of going to work basically in my pyjamas, with hair-stylings that would make Amy Winehouse look like Anna Wintour, the whole "dressing/grooming for radio" thing is a fairly significant adjustment. But this is of course what travelling is, no? This new awareness of all the stupid little things you ignore at home, and how they influence the ways people perceive you overseas, and how effectively you can get along and do a good job. As an inexperienced traveller, I'm already amazed at the things I've become aware of before even landing in this country.

Of course, such "awareness" doesn't mean the experience won't be rife with culturally-related gaffes and errors. As many of you know, the words "Alison Lang" and "socially appropriate graces" do not necessarily coincide. I gush. I spill beverages. I laugh at the wrong times and wrong volumes. Also, I am a snort-laugher. I often involuntarily sneeze....in eights. Or twelves.

Right.

Thankfully, I have also learned over these past few days that Ghanaians, though proud and classy, are also kind. And, I suspect, forgiving....of bumbling, well-intentioned young Canadian women. Let's hope.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Whoa... just found this as a link from Brendan's blog and am intrigued! You're now bookmarked on my list of work diversions so I can find out all about your life in Accra. I was there for a day last summer--not enough time to really form an opinion, but more than enough time to start loving the store names: "Jesus Saves Shoe Store" and such. :) Congrats on getting your placement, and good luck!

~Sangster

Anonymous said...

Dying of the snorty-laughs at "making Amy Winehouse look like Anna Wintour".

You're the best, Lang.

Lang said...

Thanks Sangster!!

I plan on making a trip to Burkina Faso at some point, so I will be looking to you for advice....

I'm flying out, in like, two hours. Crap.

Lukas, I do not exaggerate. Just wait. Ghana will no doubt aggravate the haggardness, yo. I will post a picture for you.

MYA said...

does your station have live net streaming?